Fall/Winter 2021-22 Performance Workshop Productions
Below is the info for Plaza Theatrical’s Performing Arts Academy Fall/Winter 2021-22 offerings. Our programs will continue to run in accordance with New York State and CDC Covid-19 guidelines and recommendations.
Thank you for your supporting the 39-year history of The Plaza Organization, as well as, for supporting your child’s passion and creativity!
Emma C. Harrington
Plaza Theatrical’s Performing Arts Academy
What to Expect at Plaza Theatrical Productions Performing Arts Academy
All auditions, callbacks, and rehearsals (until tech/dress rehearsals) will be held at Plaza Thetarical’s Rehearsal Studio, 34 Forest Ave, Lynbrook, NY, 11518.
- Drop-off and pick-up will occur outside the Plaza entrance door. A staff member will be in the lobby 5 minutes prior to rehearsal to greet your child.
- All students will be required to wear a mask when entering and exiting the studio.
- All adults who enter the studio must be admitted by a staff member and are required to wear a mask.
- If desired, students may bring their own marked water bottles. No food, candy, or gum is permitted.
- No sharing of beverages.
- Students may remove masks during rehearsal, assuming the activity is maintaining adequate social distancing. Our rehearsal spaces have been cleared and distance markers are on the floor.
- Students will be required to wear a mask if the activity they are doing cannot remain socially distant.
- While the bathroom is available, we encourage students to use restroom facilities prior to arriving at Plaza.
- Our studio is cleaned and disinfected frequently.
Where do you perform your musicals?
While rehearsals and classes are held at our Lynbrook studio (34 Forest Ave., Lynbrook, NY), Performing Arts Academy tech rehearsals and performances are held at our beautiful venue at the Elmont Memorial Library Theatre!
What is the audition process for musicals?
Every child who is able to commit to the rehearsal and performance schedule will be cast in the show. We do NOT cut any child from the production. For the “audition” and “callback” process, we strive to make every child feel relaxed and comfortable.
The first “audition” is private. Your child will sing for the director, stage manager, and musical director. They can sing a song from a show they have already appeared in, they can sing a song they have learned in school, or they can sing a section of a song they choose provided they bring the sheet music for the musical director to play from (usually about 32 measures). Song suggestions include the following age appropriate pieces: Do-Re-Me (The Sound of Music), My Favorite Things (The Sound of Music), I Won’t Grow Up (Peter Pan), Tomorrow (Annie), etc.
Every child will be invited to “callbacks”. At the callbacks, which are held in small groups, students will be taught some musical excerpts from the show and will be asked to read some lines from the show. The entire callback process is supportive and encouraging. It is NOT competitive.
Although a child does not need to prepare for the audition and callback process, they may want to practice their audition song. In addition, they can familiarize themselves with the music and dialogue by watching the movie version of the show.
What are the participation fees? Returning student discount? Discounts for multiple children in a family?
Musical Theatre classes participation fees vary based on sessions. Participation fees for classes can be found on the registration form!
$450.00 (includes DVD digital download of the performance, costumes*, and a souvenir script (for Elementary and Middle School Students only)
$495.00 (includes script, DVD digital download of the performance, costumes*, and a souvenir script (for Elementary and Middle School Students only)
A 10% discount will be applied to the second sibling’s participation fee.
Full Payment is due at the first rehearsal.
Are there any additional fees for costumes and tickets?
Although costumes are provided as part of the participation fee, students may have to supply basic items (shirt, shoes, socks, etc.)
For the culminating performances for family and friends, each person entering the theatre must have a ticket.
Ticket Prices are:
Broadway Kids: $5.00
Performance Workshop (Grades 3-5): $10.00
Performance Workshop (Grades 6-8): $10.00
Performance Workshop (Grades 9-12): $15.00